Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Writing Acrostic Poems!

"It's impossible to write poetry in front of the TV Almost impossible not to write in the sun In the woods, every breath is a poem The words form in the sunbeams, to those who look for them." ~ Daisey Verlaef


"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." ~William Wordsworth


"Being an author is having angels whisper in your ear - and devils, too." ~Graycie Harmon



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of My favorite types of Poems to write is the acrostic poem. I love trying to say what the title or the word spelled down means to me. I have wrote them from People's names and from all sorts of words. What is an acrostic Poem? An acrostic poem uses the letters that spell a topic word to begin each line of the poem.Each line should relate to or desribe something about the original Topic word. Some times I use a phrase as well. An acrostic poem is a way to show what you know about a particular character or word. You might not think of it as poetry because it does not rhyme, but poetry does not always have to rhyme.And believe me it's harder than it looks too unless you just want Boring.

Before you begin, make a list of all the things you know about the character or item ~use adjectives / verbs. You chose a character’s name or word. Use each letter in the name as the beginning of a word or line that tells something about that person, character or word. Below are four examples of Acrostic Poems. Please enjoy todays Poetry. Have a great day.
Patsy





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H.U.R.T.I.N.G.



Hurting is he?
Until now the pain was all mine.
Ripples of anguish fill me even now.
Thrusting their way into my life.
Imploring my heart to remember.
Never allowing my soul Forget.
Giddiness fills me as I see him suffer.



Written By: Patricia Sawyer

8-22-2008



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Frustration



Fizzled out I am; a failure
Rejected and rebuffed by you.
Unwanted and unloved I feel.
Stressed out I am; so disappointed.
Teased and teased by you again.
Reality is a reversal of roles;
As I saw them. Angry? No not I.
Thwarted; trampled and tossed aside.
Injury of pride is what I'm suffering.
Outwitted, outguessed, and then offset.
Neutralized I was. No wonder I'm frustrated!



written By: Patricia Sawyer
11- 7-2008



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tropical

Tides wash over painted toes.
Rum rains down; Reptiles sun.
Ocean waves; Oracles with desired lies.
Palm treed Paradise with insects.
Islands with beautiful barefooted influences
Careless days and nights; secret caves and coves.
Abundant atmosphere; fruited alcohol attractions.
Lovers under the lagoon's night sky.
~Leafy layers of Tropical Life.

Written BY: Patricia Sawyer
9-7-2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunshine

Several times I thought I saw you. Peeking out.
Unknown to me- But seeming to know about us.
Not Martha or Mary though I had guessed both.
Something you had said once, led me to those guesses.
How can you be neither Kith nor kin ? You know stuff.
I was at a loss...why does it matter? Every reader counts.
Nevermind who you are; I still have an idea or two. Or one.
Everyone needs friends who light up their day! Thanks for lighting mine!


written BY: Patricia Sawyer
11-25-2008

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Patsy, thanks for using my name in a poem. I enjoyed it. Sometimes, we just need someone to send a smile or a laugh our way, no matter who they are or where they come from. You always do that for me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Nice post, kind of drawn out though. Really good subject matter though.

Anonymous said...

Do you even speak English? Seriously, wall of text crits me for 99999k.