Saturday, July 31, 2010

I Love to Learn New Things...

"Every man has a right to a Saturday night bath." ~ Lyndon B. Johnson

"And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." ~ William Shakespeare

"You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
~ Scott Adams


Earlier this week I had a new visitor to my Blog.. He left me a comment that said I had engaged him.. I was of course thrilled with that.. I was thinking that was a good thing?.. then he invited me to his blog and I do love going on blog visits so I hurried right on over to check him out... It was there that I learned a new thing.. a new to me thing at least.. he had American Sentence poems on his blog.. I had never.. ever seen one that I remember.. never heard of them.. never wrote one myself.. that was not going to do... I liked them.. I wanted to write one.. I wanted to know more about them.. I googled and read and googled some more.. I thought many of the ones I found to be very profound and meaningful.. Most people compare them to a haiku though I think they would be more like senryu.. because of their often satirical nature.. Finally I felt that I had googled enough.. I tried to write a few of my own.. I might not be good at it yet.. these may be terrible when judged by some that were found when I googled them.. But these are mine.. and my first ones at that.. I even looked and looked for something to illustrate them with.. I hope you enjoy my first try at something new.. Mine are not as grand as his.. so I do hope you will visit his blog.. Thanks for a bump in a new direction Sepiru Chris...

~ "Direction" ~ Life spins me in so many directions.. I need a compass to find myself! 7/31/2010

.. ( and yes smarty pants..you know who you are... I do know the difference in a compass and a GPS device.. but mine has a compass in it..!)

~ "Lunch" ~ My stomach in fowl condition.. I could only eat soup and quackers.. 7/30/2010

~ "at 4 am" ~ The roosters are crowing in chorus... spurring the morning sun to rise... 7/31/2010


~ " High and Dry at the Courthouse ".. ~ Judged to be no longer useful~ a fountain thirsts in the courtyard... 7/31/2010

I hope you have enjoyed my American sentence poems.. or maybe I should only claim a try at them.. I know they aren't the best but they are what my Daddy would call "quick work".. something new.. a honest try.. They are fun.. You might enjoy writing one of them yourself.. I love learning new things.. and though these may not be perfect.. I think they see me off to a good start.. Do you know of a poetry form that I haven't tried yet.. send it along in a comment and I will surely give it a shot.. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a wonderful day!
Patsy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
links for today's Posts!!

Photo-hunt #224- Public

Weekend Wordsmith~ #161 ~ Direction

8 comments:

Camella Black said...

Oh I love the new poems, you should make us a book of poems for Christmas!

I hate those old water fountains at court house, don't know why they haven't removed them. Great rooster.

Unknown said...

Was that "smarty pants" comment meant for my husband, because if not, it fits there too!

shawiegirl said...

great try at the short poems, i particularly liked "Lunch!"! really great blog,with matching photos!best regards!

Auntie E said...

Oh what a blast. I will have to check it this AS out. Loved the compass one ans the High and Day.

Pblacksaw said...

Camella~ they used to workk I have drank water from their nasty spouts many times while waiting for family court..

Tana~ he is a smarty pants..I figured there were a few people in smart pants..

Shawie Girl~ Thanks.. I tried .. maybe next time they will be better..

Auntie E~ Thanks.. life does spin us sometimes doesn't it?

Thanks to everyone who visited my blog today.. I hope you enjoyed your stop.. Have a wonderful day!
Patsy

stan said...

As much as I love nature, I would sure hate to be awoken by chickens before dawn!

~willow~ said...

It's always good to try new things: congrats on a great first attempt at American Sentences!

My take on the "direction" prompt was quite different, do drop by & tell me what you think :)

~willow~

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I especially like your high and dry sentence. Thank you for introducing me to the "American Sentence." I'm going to read up on it and try my hand at it, too.

I've subscribed to your blog and have been reading forward from late June or early July. Your poems, senyru, haiku are indeed thought provoking. I like that, too. You've also introduced me to several new blogs. :-)
Su-sieee! Mac
This and That. Here and There. Now, Sometimes Then.