Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tuesday's what in the world is this???

"If a window of opportunity appears, don't pull down the shade."
~Thomas Peters

"People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within."
~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

"My mother and I could always look out the same window without ever seeing the same thing."
~ Gloria Swanson

Hello and welcome to Tuesday! I hope that some of you are here once again because you enjoy the guessing of my strange items on Tuesday?! The item for today has nothing to do with windows... I say that because all of the quotes have the word window in them. and Now on to today's strange thing.. I can't think of anyone who I know that reads my blog that will know what this is. Maybe you know what it is.. Maybe you own one or have even used one. Maybe you can make a good guess as to what today's pictures are and what they were actually used for? Have you ever seen one? what is this crazy looking thing? what would YOU do with it? What did the people who invented it use it for?

I actually do own one of these! I will tell you that neither of these is mine. These pictures are each of one that is in much better shape than mine. If I had known what mine was and what it might one day be worth I would have brought in inside and kept it polished and shined! I didn't know what it was myself until just a week ago! I was looking for something to use for my What is it and My beloved Dave suggested we try to find out what the "thing" on the patio was.. we looked it over and found a few words that we googled and this is what we now know we own.

When I moved here there was one of these rusting away under the window that looks out of a bedroom onto the patio. I thought it was most likely a pea sheller of some kind. I didn't have any peas to shell and I didn't know how to work it so I used it for other things. It made a great "time out" spot for Cooper and Emily. I could move the little "stools" so that they couldn't touch each other and sit one of them on each side.. They would sit there and swing their little feet until their five or so minutes were up. Sometimes they would just go and climb up on their seats and pretend they were shelling peas. Cooper would turn the hand crank and Emily would fill the top with sticks and twigs she picked up from the yard.

The children outgrew playing with it and eventually they outgrew sitting on it for time outs too. We talked about hauling it away but for some reason I liked it.. It makes a great plant stand and it has held ferns and flowers and all kinds of plants on it's stools. I have sat buckets of blooms up on top of it and even now it has a potted plant on each stool and one on top. We finally moved it over to the corner behind my pond so it is out of the weather and even though we don't use it for it's intended use, it is still very useful to us! It is even useful to the frogs that will climb from the pond and sit on it to call for rain or even for a mate..

Please offer a guess as to what this item is.. I am sure that maybe someone knows. Maybe someone out there besides me owns one of these. Though it would be odd I guess maybe someone could still be using theirs for it's intended use. please leave a comment with your guess and Tomorrow I will let everyone know what it really is! Have a wonderful day!

Happy Guessing!
Patsy


5 comments:

Unknown said...

well, i had no idea until i clicked on the picture to get a closer look and it said it was a cream separator...hehehe, so i guess i cheated.

Unknown said...

oh, if you would like to delete my previous comment to keep it going, i won't mind...

Pblacksaw said...

PJ ~ No it will teach me to enlarge photo's and look a little closer from now on.. I still think it's a pea sheller..lol.. and I know it's a time out chair and a plant stand! It's even a mating call stand for frogs.. so today you are the first person and the right answer good job..
Patsy

Big Time said...

Well, PJ is smart and cheated. I was going to guess that it had something to do with milk but wasn't sure what. Now I know. Have a great day. Reuben

Pblacksaw said...

Big time~ you are smarter than me then It was here when I moved here and we always thought it was a sheller of some kind.. It separates the cream from the milk.. Mine is missing the top bowl. Dave and I might drag this bad boy out though and clean it up. But then agin if we do where will the frogs sit to sing for a mate?

Oh Happy Day!
Patsy