Thursday, June 25, 2009

Welcome to Thursday! I have at least three things for you!

“We have sat on the river bank and caught catfish with pin hooks. The time has come to harpoon a whale.” ~ John Hope

"If I go down in for anything in history, I would like to be known as the person who convinced the American people that catfish is one of the finest eating fishes in the world."
~ Willard Scott

"You ask me if I will not be glad when the last battle is fought, so far as the country is concerned I, of course, must wish for peace, and will be glad when the war is ended, but if I answer for myself alone, I must say that I shall regret to see the war end."
~ George Armstrong Custer

"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."
~ George Armstrong Custer



1:) ~ I would like to say happy Thursday! I can't.. today hasn't been very happy for a lot of People.. Death has been poking around here in our town this week with three people that I knew having died this week. First was Shane: a little fellow that used to live beside me.. I know he was grown but I will always think of his smiling, chubby cheeked face when he was a baby.. Then A fellow that went to school with me died, Joel was a great person and will be missed by his family and friends.. What's worse is that he was young and in presumably good health until he was involved in an accident at work last week. Last night My Daughter-in-law's (Myranda) Grandma died.. She was old and recently diagnosed with Leukemia.. She too will be missed by all of her children and grandchildren and great grands too... so like I said death has been busy in Barnwell this week.. My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families whose lives have been touched by death this week... No one escapes death when it comes calling your name.... even the rich and famous are not immune to death...

Today will be remembered as a sad day in History. First, Farrah Fawcett died at the age of 62, Loosing her three year battle with cancer .... and Later in the day Michael Jackson died at the age of 50, from what is being presumed was cardiac arrest. The latest news says that an autopsy is planned.. My thoughts and prayers will be with the families of these famous ones tonight.

2:) Today is Catfish day! I love catfish.. I like it fried or stewed or grilled. I love the nuggets that the fishermen cut from the Giant catfish that they catch in Santee.. (and in other places too I bet!) My brother's- in- law ( Wade and Roland) once had some catfish so big that they looked like pigs laying in the back of the truck. They carried a Big freezer with them to put the nuggets in.. those big fish would have rose up and laughed at any cooler I have ever seen. Today even has it's own proclamation making it an Official, National, DAY!

Proclamation 5672 -- National Catfish Day, 1987
June 25, 1987

By the President of the United States of America

A Proclamation

More and more Americans are discovering a uniquely American food delicacy -- farm-raised catfish. In 1986, catfish comprised the third highest volume of finned fish consumed in the United States. Ninety-nine percent of all these catfish were farm-raised. Between 1975 and 1985, production of farm-raised catfish increased by 1200 percent. Most observers expect that production will continue to increase in 1987. Production costs of catfish farming, which have averaged only 65 cents per pound over the past 8 years, have resulted in a stable income for growers and an economical food product for consumers. The accompanying growth of the catfish processing industry also has created thousands of permanent jobs.

Farm-raised catfish have come a long way from their bottom-feeding ancestors. The catfish that are available today, fresh or frozen in markets nationwide, are products of state-of-the-art methods of aquaculture. They thrive in clean freshwater ponds on many American farms, where they are surface-fed soybean meal, corn, fish meal, vitamins, and minerals. Farm-raised catfish not only furnish American consumers with a tasty delicacy but also provide a nutritious, low-calorie source of protein that is also low in cholesterol.

In recognition of the value of farm-raised catfish, the Congress, by House Joint Resolution 178, has designated June 25, 1987, as ``National Catfish Day'' and authorized and requested the President to issue a proclamation in its observance.

Now, Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim June 25, 1987, as National Catfish Day. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.

In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-fifth day of June, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-seven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and eleventh.

Ronald Reagan

[Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 4:

13 p.m., June 25, 1987]

3:)On this day in History~ The Battle Of Little Bighorn~

  • The Battle of the Little Bighorn, also known as Custer's Last Stand, took place on June 25th-26th, 1876. It was fought by three Native American tribes and the 7th Cavalry Regiment of the U.S. Army.
  • Fast Facts:

    1. Date: June 25 to June 26, 1876
    2. Location: Little Bighorn River, Montana
    3. Also known as: Battle of Greasy Grass
    4. War: The Black Hills War
    5. Victor: Native Americans
    6. Commanders:
      • Native American: Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse
      • Army: George Custer, James Calhoun, Marcus Reno and Frederick Benteen
    7. Battlefield is now a National Monument
    8. The entire battle was reported to have lasted only half an hour
    • Native Americans: 36-136 killed, 160 wounded
    • 7th Cavalry: 268 killed, 55 wounded

  • Lieutenant George Armstrong Custer was kill ed at Little Bighorn. At the time, he was viewed as a hero who sacrificed his life for his country. In later years Custer and his actions during the Indian Wars became a symbol of the United States Government's mistreatment of Native Americans, even though he had publicly opposed the the use of reservations.

~~And now as a bonus
because today hasn't been a good day in times past or even in our own time ~ well except for the whole catfish thing.. and that was good for us but not for the fish~ I am sharing with you what I enjoyed today in my own yard..


1)~ a beautiful water lily

2:) Dave's almost orange ~
reduced for quick sale~ Hibiscus!



3:) Blooming Gardenia.. the smell is as beautiful as the flower!


Have a great day!
Patsy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sad news is for sure, so thank you for the pics of the beautiful flowers. i do love the smell of gardenias.

Pblacksaw said...

PJ~ Hi and welcome! I love them too.. I often cut one and bring it inside..

Sunshine said...

I will miss the Rockin Robin little boy from my childhood and even the Thriller from my teen years. I just love the pictures of your flowers. I bet they smell wonderful too! I actually had catfish stew last night with my dinner and it was very good! Sorry to get so behind on the reading. I got a few days away...without a computer...imagine that!