Friday, October 9, 2009

Advice For the "Kids"... Are you listening to me?

"A little girl is sugar and spice and everything nice - especially when she's taking a nap."
~Author Unknown

"A child is a curly dimpled lunatic." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In America there are two classes of travel - first class, and with children." ~Robert Benchley

Finally tonight I have only a few tidbits of advice for the "Kids".... I was reminded of being a young Mother myself by yesterdays soccer practice and by the swarm of school children I saw up town on the circle today when I went to pay a bill.. I wondered why there were so many of the little critters hanging around in town till someone reminded me that this was home coming week for our football team.. Ap
parently they came out in droves of short skirted; face painted; nasty mouthed; girls just for the parade.. I had to hurry and get off of the circle.. I can't abide smart mouthed kids.. I remember back in the day when the boys were the ones you had to watch out for.. they would get into things that would make your hair stand on end... Now days I fear the boys are out matched by the girls.. the girls learn young how to dress or maybe I should say undress to catch the eye.. my fear is that they will catch the wrong eye.. and the sad thing is that they don't care.. they don't hear or heed the warnings we old folks try to give them.. Just a few weeks ago one of my teen aged nieces said to me.. "Awe Aunt Patsy .. you soooooooooooo crazy.. you so funny!" ..... I had asked a simple question.. how was I to know that they make shorts now so that half of your cheek hangs out?? My Daddy would have whipped them things the rest of the way off of me.. with his belt.. I was trying to be helpful when I asked her what happened to her pants... honestly she looked like a dog might have attacked her.. shorts gnawed off up passed her butt.. the legs ragged and they were pulled down just as far as they could possibly go without showing what I once heard a child call "the front butt"..I was flabbergasted.. she called me crazy and funny and there she stood in dog gnawed britches about to show the front butt.. already showing more than half of the back butt... Did everyone who is raising kids forget how to dress them... Do they look at their kids before they leave the house? and thus begins my advice for tonight...

1-]~ Look at what your children are wearing.. and if you are a kid.. look at what you are wearing.. does it project the image you want to have? Is some part of your body hanging half out? Cover that up!!! Perverts are watching you! If you are a parent think of who might be watching your child.. is it safe for them to waltz around half naked? I am well aware that styles have changed.. I even own some shorts myself.. I am not a prude.. and parents.. don't fall for the everyone wears this routine... tell them like I told mine.. " No everyone is not wearing that style with the butt hanging out britches..." and when they asked.. "who's not?" I said "YOU ARE NOT!" we all want our children to be happy and yes even popular to some extent.. but some of them need some dressing lessons... If you wouldn't want to see me or your Grandmother in those clothes.. don't wear them yourself..

2-]~
When you wake up each morning complete the following statement, 'My
purpose is to __________ today.'
this is supposed to be a great self motivator and help you set goals for the day.. honestly I usually fill the space with ~ Make it through~ Please don't fill the space with anything weird or kinky like get lucky or get laid.. try phrases like learn something new.. or be helpful .. or even clean my room or read a book.. smile at a little old lady.. try to do something productive every day.. and I guess if all else fails you can always join me and try to just make it through the day.. But at least make the effort to think in productive terms.. I think that maybe tomorrow morning I will try a new phrase.. tomorrow morning I will try get lucky.. get kinky.. get laid.. I think I have some shorts that I can let the dog gnaw off just above the butt and then maybe my phrase might come true!

3-]~ Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful... that mean clear your desk.. your home.. your car.. your box under the bridge.. of anything (or anyone) that is taking up space but has no purpose in your life.. and let new and flowing energy into your life...and just so you know.. I am both joyful and useful.. we can't all be beautiful..

4-]~Try to make at least three people smile each day. This really is easy.. smile are infectious.. Most people..unless they are just a mean spirited old codger.. will smile back at you if you smile at them from the heart.. sometimes a person needs a smile and your smiling will help both your feelings and theirs.. When Em was a baby and we were always off to the hospital for one thing or another.. platelets were low or time for radiation... or even just a check up.. I wondered how the Doctors and other staff there always had a smile.. I asked Dr Red one day how they managed to pull it off.. he laughed and patted my hand.. " Go look in the mirror" he said.. when you have gritted your teeth long enough.. it begins to resemble a smile!" I realized right then that I didn't want to go through life with gritted teeth.. I smiled at him and smiled at the other parents and the children we met there.. My children needed smiles.. I needed smiles and when I gave them out I got them back.. Smile at the old lady in the car next to you at the red light.. smile at the child looking at you so intently from his Mommy's shopping cart.. smile at the hateful girl ringing up your purchases at the Wal-mart.. smile at as many people as you can in one day.. see if you can get them to smile back.. Maybe on days when you can think of nothing else you can make this your purpose for advice tip #2 above.. "My Purpose is to make an old lady.. a child and a cranky clerk smile at me today" ... I like it!

5-]~ Say No to projects that won't fit into your time schedule, or that will compromise your mental health. If you don't have time.. say "I don't have time" and never ever let anyone push you into something that you feel is morally or ethically wrong..in fact if you just plain don't want to then say that too.. NO NO NO!!..I almost never say no.. I even say yes sometimes when I would rather have said no.. I try to be helpful to anyone when I can.. But trust me.. If I really.. really didn't want to do something.. No one could make me.. I couldn't be convinced or as Daddy said corns-waggled into it.. I believe in helping where we can.. But sometimes the answer just needs to be NO! I won't get mad if you tell me no.. but Me and Dave will talk about you.. and about how we have done so much for you and then you have the audacity to tell us no.. when we ask for a simple little favor.. are you corns-waggled yet?? The answer is still NO? Good I would think less of a person I could corns-waggle into my way of thinking.. NO I can't.. No I don't want too.. No I think it's a stupid plan.. sometimes you just gotta say NO! You can tell them Mama.. Aunt Patsy.. Grandma.. boss-Heifer.. said NO!

Have a wonderful night!
Patsy



9 comments:

glee said...

I enjoyed these lessons a lot. So much wisdom to absorb. and yes, they must from someone full of it. thank you. :)

Unknown said...

wow patsy you sure gave me a lot to read here...hehehe. i will come back to comment on each of your posts, but right now i need you to email me your address so i can send your sample to you. i will be making the lotion this weekend and shipping the samples off some time next week. my email is pjtangel2000ATyahooDOTcom. have a great day my friend...hugz!

Theresa said...

You know Patsy I couldn't agree more. A few weeks ago my husband was walking through a parking lot and some woman was shouting at a man for looking at her young daughter who is dressed very sexy for a young girl. As my husband passed he looked at the situation and laughed. The woman asks what he is laughing at. He basically says to the woman, what do you expect men to do when you allow your young daughter to dress like that (I'm being much nicer than he was). Needless to say she didn't "get it" and simply says, well I've never been so insulted in my life. I honestly believe that people nowadays try too hard to be their child's friend and not a parent and think that allowing them to dress like this will make them seem like better parents in the child's eye.

The Write Girl said...

Wonderful advice..not just for kids but adults as well. I really liked your smiling lesson best of all. You are quite wise with words : )

Beth said...

True words of wisdom, Patsy! Thank you for saying what too many are afraid to say.

Beth at Mother by Design dot com

Sunshine said...

you are one smart woman

Nostradamas said...

Another wonderful post. Well I did manage to make about ten people smile this morning.I took my daughter her son and other half out to breakfast.I like messing with the waitresses. We had a ball.
I am thinking about everything else.

A Lil Enchanted said...

Wonderful advice Patsy! Trouble is... I think laundry and dishes don't fit very well into my time schedule and continuing to do them may be compromising my mental health... every time I see a new pile of them I want to scream and pull my hair out "Not more... not again!!!!" lol

A Lil Enchanted,
~LaShan~

Pblacksaw said...

gleenn~ glad you stopped by..I am praying for your country!

Pj~ I know you will have a full wee-end.. everyone and their brother will want a sample.. after all it's FREE! I haven't had anything free in forever..

Theresa~ I never tried to be my children's friend..they have plenty of those.. they need parents instead!

The Write girl~ welcome to my blog.. I love smiles..

Beth~ thank you.. some people say I talk to much but I do tend to speak my mind..

Sunshine~ Thanks.. I do my best!

Nostradamus.. you did your part.. one can do no more than that!

a lil enchanted~ if you figure out a way to get out of those chores let me know.. we will sell that secret to hire maids! actually I had a sister-in-law once who buried all the dishes because no one would help her wash them.. her husband had a fit and of course they had to eventually buy more..

thanks to everyone who stopped by today! I hope everyone had a great week-end!
Patsy