Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Manners if You Please!!... and Tuesday's What Is It??

"People who picnic along the public highway leaving a clutter of greasy paper and swill (not a pretty name, but neither is it a pretty object!) for other people to walk or drive past, and to make a breeding place for flies, and furnish nourishment for rats, choose a disgusting way to repay the land-owner for the liberty they took in temporarily occupying his property."

"The letter we all love to receive is one that carries so much of the writer's personality that she seems to be sitting beside us, looking at us directly and talking just as she really would, could she have come on a magic carpet, instead of sending her proxy in ink-made characters on mere paper."

"Nothing is less important than which fork you use. Etiquette is the science of living. It embraces everything. It is ethics. It is honor."
All from Emily Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~ Update for Tuesday what is IT?? ~~ The puzzle has been solved.. I stated that the three things were related in some way.. They are all used for fishing.. I was beginning to think no one would guess till Anthony ( my oldest son) called me this afternoon..... while we were discussing children and soccer and where he might have possibly laid the thermometer cover.. he was browsing over the blog.. he recognized the third photo as a rod and reel holder... from there he was able to figure the other two out quiet quickly.. I think the net almost stumped him.. He is correct.. #1 is fishing rods... #2 is a dip net.. and #3 is a reel holder..

#1~ ignore the guys and just look at the right side of the photo.. fishing rods.. I cropped them and then turned them...

#2~ A dip net.. I cropped it down to just one knot.. I was trying to be sneaky..

#3~ a rod holder.. this one is bolted on the side of a fishing boat..This is the culprit that allowed Higgins to guess what this weeks "What is it?'s" were..

Thanks to everyone who guessed and thanks to those who visited and didn't guess.Have a great night!!
Patsy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Day Etiquette was Born

~ Emily Post was born in Baltimore, Maryland on this day in 1872. Born as Emily Price.. the only daughter of architect Bruce Price and his wife Josephine.. She was raised in an upper class .. wealthy..family.. with all the manners and etiquette that her family's lifestyle entailed. Growing up in an era of servants and chaperones..Emily was educated.. first at home and and then sent away to a finishing school that prepared girls for social life in New York, where her family had moved. She married Edwin Main Post, a banker and had two sons.

Emily Post and her husband soon drifted apart.. His constant cheating with chorus girls and actresses caused the marriage to end in a divorce. She asked for no money from him.. To add to her own small income and support herself and her sons.. she began writing short stories that were published in the popular fiction magazines Ainslie's and Everybody's. She also wrote several novels. She was encouraged by an editor at the Funk and Wagnalls publishing company to write a book on proper social behavior.... Etiquette—The Blue Book of Social Usage, was first published in 1922, and quickly became a best-seller, bringing her fame and fortune.

Etiquette- rules for proper social behavior.. Manners..
refraining from making others uncomfortable by our behavior..

I really think that my high school home economics teacher thought Emily Post was right next to God.. Mrs. Christy knew all the proper rules of etiquette and she did her very best to make sure that every student who came through her class learned them all..from which fork to use for what food... to what a woman should wear to her son's wedding.. Mrs. Christy drummed the rules over and over into us.. I once told her that I thought it was more important to learn how to cook and she said that it wouldn't matter what we cooked if we didn't know the right way to serve it.. she also said that there would come a day that etiquette would be no longer taught and would in fact be a thing of the past.. I do believe that she was right...

I can't help but think Of Mrs Christy when I hear some of the young people talking.. they have NO manners.. no etiquette... Mrs Christy would cringe.. if she were alive.. to walk down the halls of the school where she taught for so many.. many years.. and see the way they dress and hear the new Language that they speak in.. At least I guess it's a language.. it really doesn't sound like English to me most of the time.. for instance the other night I heard two almost grown men talking as I walked in front of the Courthouse headed for my poetry club meeting.. it sounded something like this.... #1 ~"wha sup hokey.." #2~ "nadda.. pokin.. dam ain't sum" ~ ..me thinking what??? slowing down and thinking maybe I might .. just maybe understand if I walked slower..
#1 " me an her..shit over.. Hell Nah Hell Nah bump dat! Dey ain't want no play.. " ~ #2 " porky on da cono.. watch dat.." I decided I better hurry on to my meeting.. I'm kinda fat and I was just stepping up on the corner.. I hurried along..

I wonder where our manners went? I'm not saying we should all dress and act according to a set of rules from 1922 but a few basic manners would be nice.. using inside voices.. no children running around the tables and screaming in restaurants.... a belt.. to keep me from seeing your crack!...an invitation that arrives before and not after an event.. and I would honestly like to be able to understand the so called English that most young people speak.. that way if you are talking about me right in front of my back.. I can understand you and run..


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tuesday's ..WHAT IS IT??

UPDATE~ I have decided to leave this for a few days just in case.. anyone wants to make a guess.. I have had a few people to offer questions and I will share those answers with everyone..

new clues~ #1: yes.. the second picture contains a knot..
#2: NO it is NOT a dream catcher
#3: The first picture is not a collection of rubber tubes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture #3~ I feel as if I have been cropped and stretched and twisted and maybe turned.. I am barely able recognize my own self here... Do you have a guess as to what I am??

Tonight I have given you three items to look at and to guess as to what they are... Do you have any idea what these things are? What do they look like to you? Have you looked at them from different angles? Did I twist them or turn them sideways? Someone out there has used these things.. Someone might even have used one of them today... If you think you know.. you should offer a guess... You might even be right....I enjoy the comments and the guesses.. I will post an update tomorrow of what they really are.. Have a wonderful night!!
Patsy

4 comments:

Jan from BetterSpines said...

Hi there Patsy. I have no idea what the whatsit is, but re manners - not only a belt for the guys, but how about wearing a bra inside and under other clothing? Saw a lass today wearing a strapless top over a normal bra! What the ...
And you are so right about language. I used to think it was just a lack of diction that made people unintelligible. Now I know they are speaking a different language which is deliberately designed to keep the uninformed from understanding it. Like a secret code.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your thoughts on manners.
My grandmother would have a stroke if she knew I didn't put the silverware on the correct side of the plate.
Having as many kids as I do, all different ages...it is hard to keep the younger ones from copying the older ones or from picking up things off the tv. So I say... Pants up, boobs covered, hair combed, dish soap for nasty mouths, and a belt for their behinds...LOL

Have a great day! I can't wait for you to tell us what the pictures are...I have no guesses. Sorry!

~loves2ride

Pblacksaw said...

Jan~ I have seen the old one.. two or more bra trick before..I just laugh at them..I agree that they know what they are saying and don't want us old people to understanding them.. I find that amusing because most of what they are saying would be something that we would find trivial and stupid..
Have a great day!


Loves2ride~ I can't believe that no one has a guess.. wow.. I figured that some one.. most likely a man would know right away what these are.. I will leave them as they are for a while.. maybe someone will think it over and offer a guess.. I like the pants up boobs covered saying!! The younger ones will copy the older ones and their friends from school.. Have a great day!
Patsy

Anonymous said...

Fishing Rods

Net

Rod Holder

Higgins