Friday, October 9, 2009

Just for starters... Weekend Wordsmith!

"A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts. " ~ Elvis Presley

"A lot of words in English confuse the idea of life and electricity, like the word livewire."
~ Laurie Anderson

"What is a soul? It's like electricity - we don't really know what it is, but it's a force that can light a room. " ~ Ray Charles


Writers are different than most people.. even in our own group there is no NORM.. I do strange things like write words on scraps of paper.. Maybe I saw the word somewhere or maybe it was sent to me as a prompt.. maybe someone used it in scrabble and I didn't know what it meant..
But regardless of how they come to me.. they wind up scribbled on index cards and scraps of paper.. they fill bowls and baskets on my crowded desk and eventually they become a poem.. I will take a handful of them and write them again into a list.. thinking about each word as I re-write it and shred it's original scrap of paper.. today as I was writing down the word for this weekend from Weekend Wordsmith.... ~ELECTRICITY~ .. I decided to pull a handful of words from the pile and see what I could twist and turn them into..

theses are the words.. or phrases.. that my hand chose.. Foofaraw.. Limit..spirit of the drums..weeping willow..gnarled..Island.. rhythms.. ocean.. fallow... the old city ..incredible..key..silent..abandon..ugly..empty.. pink.. black sea.. embrace.. destiny.. secret.. scream.. fragile..silence..a newly uncorked wine.. plastic flamingos?...

I had to look up one word.. can you guess which one?.. it means noisily or fuss.. I guess I had some questions about the whole flamingo idea.. But I did put together a poem .. I have heard people say that the spirit of the islands will seep into your blood and and cause you to want to leave all reality behind.. I managed to use most of the words.. I guess I still have questions about the plastic flamingos.. ( I recognize this as a prompt from an earlier Weekend Wordsmith!) I used not the word flamingo but instead.. a description of them.. This might be a long night.. I have a lot of things I want to post.. so.. just for starters.. Have a wonderful Friday night!
Patsy

Island Rhythms


an empty black sea
stretches endlessly before me

the throbbing spirit of the drums
a fiery jolt of electricity
that dances through my soul

the old city ugly and abandoned
it's screams silent
all ambition gone
fragile destiny embraced

nimble crimson legs race
along the waters edge
delicate pink wings outstretched
grace and beauty combine
with a foofaraw of honking and babbling

slipping through the guard
of gnarled weeping willows
I slip the rusty key into my pocket
before joining my comrades
for a glass of newly uncorked wine
the emerald garden on my mind

tonight will be our farewell
I intend not to return to my fallow life
they will seek me but for a while
slipping away in the night I will be no more
treasure without limit lies beneath the nests
delicate creatures once
chiseled into stone
T
he embodiment of the god Ra

I welcome the winds of change
the loud thumping of my heart
keeping perfect time
with the ancient island rhythms


Written BY: Patricia Sawyer
10-9-2009

















4 comments:

Unknown said...

i bet it was foofaraw, huh...hehehe. loved your poem, it told a wonderful story. sometimes i wish that i was on an island like that away from it all.

hugz!

Pblacksaw said...

PJ~ wow how could you guess? I think if I found a treasure on an island they would be looking for me too.. maybe just vanish.. I actually had the chance to buy a small island about 18 years ago for $9000 in back taxes.. when we go to the beach i can look out across the marsh and see it sitting in the middle of the river right where the river meets the sea.. I have always wanted my own island.. search for lighthouses for sale.. some of them sit way out in the ocean.. I could stand to be a light keeper.. of they have been selling some up north for like 35,000$ .. cheap.. well cheap unless you're broke as hell like me that is.. maybe I could live at the bottom of the grand canyon instead.... I don't remember what the actual job is.. something to do with water levels I think.. But they have to fly you in and out in a helicopter.. then again could I stand me that much?
I could if the internet works down in there..
Hugs to you woman! thanks for visiting me! have a great day!
Patsy

swapna said...

Your words and verses captivated me to wander and follow the island rhythms. Use of the prompt was indeed nice and clever.

"I welcome the winds of change
the loud thumping of my heart
keeping perfect time
with the ancient island rhythms" was too beautiful a stanza.

Pblacksaw said...

swapna~ Thanks.. I am glad you enjopyed your visit to my blog.. please come again!
patsy