Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Something New~ Sepia Scenes!

"In my early days I was a sepia Hedy Lamarr. Now I`m black and a woman, singing my own way." ~ Lena Horne

"We printed all the individual images in sepia tone, but we break out one player in each shot in color." ~ Mark Gray

"When you photograph people in color you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!" ~Ted Grant


This is a new Idea for me.. I have a blue gazillion Photographs.. I have photo disks that I haven't a clue what might be on them.. They are some sent to me by others and some that I scanned for mama once upon a time.. some like this one.. that I had saved as I used them in scrap~ booking.. for a long time I kept them all on my computer.. than that computer died taking a million of my favorite photo's along with it into the land of fried motherboards and flipped processors... I was devastated to loose so many wonderful pictures.. This one is My Daddy on the boat going down the Mississippi river in July 1965. My Mama's baby brother ~ JC~ Lived in New Orleans and we went there on vacation that year..
I have never really worked with sepia photographs.. I myself really love the old timey Black and White.. My first Camera... a brownie hawk-eye.. made the best pictures in black and white.. I still have that old camera and if I could find the film and a place to develop it.. I would still be trying to look through the veiw finder on top... squaring my subjects away and snapping them in Black and white... I have even seen photo's first printed in sepia then colored with color pencils to add a highlight.. I could color Daddy into purple plaid shorts.. and a lavender shirt.. or olive and navy shorts with a lime green shirt.. Or maybe I will just enjoy seeing him as he was... waving as he enjoyed the scenery... I can almost hear him saying to other boats as they passed.. Howareya?...(yes it is said as one word sometimes!) Happy and smiling.. a great sepia scene!
Have a great day!
Patsy

8 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Welcome, Patsy, to Sepia Scenes! Glad to have you join us! You can try all sorts of photo-editing using sepia and of course you can post actual original sepia photos. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the photo!!! ~loves2ride

Marice said...

nice shot :)

Carletta said...

What a wonderful look back with you! I remember we had a brownie when I was a little girl. My Mom was the photographer back then.
I'm looking at your photo thinking today that that shoreline is dotted with houses today. :)
As Mary said, welcome to SS!

Pblacksaw said...

Mary~ I don't think I own any original sepia photo's.. I love the way they look though.. I may do one of each of my children when they were babies and color on them with colored pencils... I love that technique.. I want them for my guest room..

loves2ride~ Thanks I love and miss my Daddy very much! I still think he would look sharp in purple plaid though..

Marice~ thanks! I have a bunch of the old black and whites.. I have a lot of photo's..

Carletta~ Dave and I collect old camera's so we have a few of the brownies.. I guess my uncle made this picture or maybe my oldest brother.. the rest of us were left on the shore as they went deep sea fishing.. I am sure there have been changes along that shore since 1965... a life time ago!

I really enjoyed looking for pictures to try with the sepia.. I did a few and looked at many more.. I am sure I will be here again! looking at old photo's and remembering.. Have a great night!
Patsy

Anonymous said...

hey patsy i love that picture and that man you did a good job love mama

Day4plus said...

Very good. I kinda like playing with sepia tones even though I don't know what I am doing. MB

BTW I love the Lena Horne saying. MB

kayerj said...

loved your quotes and comments. Photo's like these are treasures. If you’d like to drop by and see my sepia scene & window views, they are here. thanks!