Thursday, September 10, 2009

Three Things for Thursday

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him." ~ Buddha

“Life does not consist mainly, or even largely, of facts and happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thought that is forever flowing through one's head.” ~ Mark Twain

"Every child is a thought in the mind of God, and our task is to recognize this thought and help it toward completion." ~ Eberhard Arnold


1-} ~ 17 words to describe the world as you view it..
these are a lot harder to write than you may think.. how much can a person say with only 17 words?? how do you think I did?? Thankfully the title doesn't count in this one and it can be used as a great starting point.. or as a hint to the nature of the poem.. I have done a lot of the tiny word count poems.. they are a challenge for sure... Maybe you have a word you would like to see me work with? if so send it to me.. I can't promise anything but I will give it a shot.. I am always open to new writing ideas...



Then There Were None

swirling ~ twirling
faster ~ faster
time promenades
look listen learn
beggars ~ thieves
trust YOURSELF
humanity
instinct or extinct?


written By: Patricia Sawyer
9-8-2009


2-}~ a tanka..
~ Grandma Morris used to talk about the Old Maids and Wallflowers. I always had them pegged as the ugly girls with little or no hope of finding a husband.. The urban dictionary describes the term wallflower as ~
a person who is shy and at a glance uninteresting... a loner who is able, by their invisible nature, to hear many delightful and wicked secrets.. It is almost enough to make me become a wallflower.. a wallflower is also a beautiful flower native to Southern Europe.. It gives off a rich and heady scent.. often used in perfumes and body lotions.. The plant does have a natural tendency to separate itself from other plants in the garden often sprouting in cracks and crevices...this may have been what led people who fade into the background to be know as wallflowers... Of course while Talking to my oldest sister, Trudy last week-end it came out that Grandma herself was 24 when she married my Grandfather..I had to giggle a little bit.. secretly to myself.... Grandma was her self an old maid by the standards set in those days..and she was a schoolmarm too.. Not that I would have ever told her that.. She would have switched my behind and then put me on the steps forever...This poem was written from the one word ~ Tanka~ prompt of wallflowers... let me know what you think..


Wallflowers


suave chaps stand ready
a vintage champagne flowing
musical tones swell
as loathsome ladies babble~
this years wallflowers in bloom

Written BY: Patricia Sawyer
9-8-2009


3-}~ On to round Two!~
a couple of weeks ago I entered a poetry contest.. I half read the instructions and though I thought I understood them I must have been a little off that day.. I didn't choose just one color.. I could even swear it said you could choose more than one color.. I chose a rainbow almost.. When I read the judges comments I was certain it would say ~ Bah Hah you suck!~ But instead I was tickled to find that it said " welcome to round two" ... there are rounds?? How did I miss the fact that there are rounds?? I was in the top thirty five to have entered.. I wasn't gold or silver or even bronze in the first round but I get to go to the second round.. No pre-writes allowed in any round so that means you have to write something almost on the spot.. I think we have 13 days to write this one.. but here is the kicker.. this round has to be about a person.. Yep they have a list and you have to choose a name from the list..and write a poem about that person.. I have looked the list over.. I liked several names but one has stuck in my mind.. ~ Weston~ I never knew a Weston but there is a ghost story of a Weston here in town.. He was a Black share cropper and he had a mule.. We'll see... Bobby is also on the list.. I could do something with that name I'm sure.. Bobby and I go way back.. there are names there that I have never seen before.. odd names and unique names too... it also says you can choose two names and do twins.. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing twins.. we'll see.. I'm still amazed that it is rounds and that I made it to the second round.. the following is my poem from round one!


Spilled Colors

a palette filled with colors
lavender and green

shades and blendings
both shadows and sheens

lemon and rosy red
gold dust and ice blue

so many colors
almost every hue

sadness and tears
giggles and grins

fat ones and skinny ones
and fat ones that thin

different colors for happy
for sadness and strife

a palette of spilled colors
in this painting called life


Written By: Patricia sawyer
8-31-2009



Thanks for stopping by my blog.. I hope you have enjoyed your visit today.. I hope you have enjoyed my three poems and my thoughts. Please leave me a comment if you visited me today! Have a wonderful night!
Patsy






4 comments:

debb said...

way kewl...

Unknown said...

bravo! bravo!

i think your writing is awesome patsy! i can always get a visual from your words and see what you're writing about. i absolutely LOVE spilled colors!

wishing you a wonderful day my friend...hugz!

Anonymous said...

Your poems are really great today. I am so happy that you are going to round 2! Spilled Colors is definately one of my favorites! Truly one of your best!

~loves2ride

Pblacksaw said...

Debb~ thanks a bunch..

PJ~ thank you Thanks you..( Taking a bow!) I wrote that poem in about five minutes.. some of those are my best..

Loves2ride~ thanks.. I like it too even though I didn't follow orders exactly.. But then If I followed orders I wouldn't be me..

I hope all who visited here have a great day!
Patsy